Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Culture Report: μουσική (music)

For kiria Kaplan's class, we each chose a topic of Greek culture to explore and research. My topic is contemporary music in Greece and I was a little surprised by what I found out. It wasn't a topic I could Google (I tried) so I used my resources and interviewed my Greek friends and RA's. Who knows the music that young people listen too better than locals my own age?

There are basically two different groups of people (musically speaking). One half listens to popular American and European songs, pretty much whatever is popular in the States is popular here as well. Currently, 15 out of 20 songs in The Greek Top 20 are by American and European artists. Some of the Top 20 songs include "Wiggle" by Jason Derulo, "Happy" by Pharrell Williams, "Counting Stars" by OneRepublic and "Summer" by Calvin Harris.  
The other half of young Greeks listen to Greek pop songs. Greek pop is considered very trashy (not so different from some American songs) and is sometimes called skilos, which literally means dog in Greek. Here's the link to a song that is popular in Greece right now called "Fotia me fotia" (fire with fire) by Panos Kiamos. You can hear Middle Eastern influence in the song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9LMmqvjTF0
There is also a smaller third sub-group that enjoys Greek reggae music, which sounds very similar to the reggae in the States. Compared to the trashy Greek pop, reggae has nice life concepts, with deeper thinking and meaning. Leonidas Balaphas sings the song "Extinguisher." You can listen to it in the link below! It's very beachy and makes you wanna be on island time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liml4sCCKho

For the most part, everywhere we go plays American pop music. From restaurants and cafes to tourist shops and loud iPods on the public transportation, you can hear American music everywhere. I was surprised at the popularity of our music all the way over here. My favorite version of American music can be found in the cafes, where they play the slow, acoustic versions of songs like Disturbia, Poker Face and Ladie's Night. It's the perfect "chill" vibe for the laid-back feel of the cafes here.
Most Greeks my age don't enjoy listening to the "traditional" Greek music. It's not very popular among the young crowd and we don't really hear it played too many places we visit either. The only place I've noticed traditional Greek music playing is at a few very traditional tavernas we've been to. It doesn't seem to be as prevalent in modern Greece as it has been in the past.

Lastly, I was curious as to whether the National Anthem is used in Greece in similar events as back home. It's pretty much the same, being played at national festivities, schools and sporting events.

No comments:

Post a Comment