Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Rumor Has It

Rumor (noun): 1) information or a story that is passed from person to person but has not been proven to be true. 2) gossip, hearsay.
As you know, rumors usually have a negative connotation. No one likes to be the victim of a rumor but today we heard a juicy piece of gossip...word on the street is...it might rain!! You know rain, water falling in drops condensed from vapor in the atmosphere, water that descends from the sky. Something that we haven't witnessed in a month. As Floridians we get used to the daily summer thunderstorms, the peaceful noise as rain falls on the rooftop. Who knew that we would actually miss this summer occurrence? 
During our early morning art field trip to Κεραμεικός (Kerameikos), all Erika and I could focus on were the promising-looking rain clouds overhead. We were so excited about the fact that it might possibly even rain that it was hard to focus on what our professor was saying. Don't worry though, we did learn and absorb most of what he said. Kerameikos is the site of an important cemetery and contains many funeral sculptures along the road out of the city towards Eleusis. The "inner Kerameikos" was a former potter quarter within the city. The "outer Kerameikos" includes the cemetary and the funeral monuments found there.
Modern replica of the burial monument of Dionysios of Kollitos. 

Inside the museum you can find the original bull from the monument pictured above.

Erika and I entertaining ourselves by reenacting the scene pictured behind us.

As soon as our trip was over, we boarded the next metro and headed for home, hoping to beat the rain. Once we were back in our dorm, it was all a waiting game. I almost didn't believe my eyes. From the front balcony we had the perfect view. I thought I was dreaming as Erika, Micah, Erin, Morgan and I watched the rain roll in over the mountain tops, enjoying the cool drop in temperature. We made hot tea and enjoyed the rare sighting of rain during the summer months in Greece. I think I expected people to come out and dance in the streets at the first drop of rain. But I think we were more excited than the Greeks! Even though the precious rain only lasted about 15 minutes, it was exactly what we needed. I had the urge to go mud-bogging, but of course that will just have to wait until I get back to the States. Seeing as one of our rules includes not riding on motorcycles or four-wheelers. 
And the thunder rolls...
 I will definitely appreciate the rain more when I get back home. I know it has been storming back home so everyone soak up some rain for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment