Friday, July 11, 2014

Not All Who Wonder Are Lost (except me)

Day 2 of Field Trips: I could get used to this kind of class. Obviously, every student loves field trips. But a reason I enjoy this class so much is because we don’t just read about the art, discuss it in class and look at pictures. We actually get to go and visit the ancient sites or museums that are home to some of the most treasured and studied pieces of art in Greece. Experience is my favorite form of learning.

Today’s field trip led us to the Acropolis Museum, which was extremely impressive. Our all-knowing professor never seems to run out of facts and details about the free-standing sculpture, pediments, friezes and other art.

Once again, our small group of 4 (Erika, Micah, Erin and I) decided to visit two more sites today but this time we attempted to all go together. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Since I have become relatively good at asking for directions in Greek, I walked into the nearest shop to ask for directions to Monastriki so we could visit Micah’s site, an old Jewish church.

Just to give you an idea of how this adventure started, here’s how the conversation went:

Me: “Yasas. Pu ine Monastriki?”             Hello. Where is Monastiriki?

Woman: “Yasas…..”                              and then a bunch of directions that I can’t even begin to translate.  


I couldn’t actually understand what she was telling me because if someone doesn’t respond with only the words I know, I’m lost. She assumed I spoke Greek since it sounded pretty natural when I asked for directions (only because I practiced it a lot to ask where the bathroom is).

Naturally, you would think I would have just politely stopped her and at that point spoken English explaining that I only speak a little Greek. But no, my pride got the best of me and I didn’t want her to know that I didn’t understand what she said. Luckily, Greeks are very animated when they talk so she had pointed me in the right direction and then told me to turn left somewhere and then turn left again after something else….you can see the problem. I honestly thought I kinda had an idea of where we were going but I later realized that I thought Micah’s site was at a different metro station so I had pointed us in that direction. Once we stumbled upon a main highway, I realized we were 100% lost. So I asked for directions again, this time realizing that maybe it would be useful to learn how to say “I only speak a little Greek” (Milagio liga Elinika) right after asking for directions. 
You may wonder why I didn’t just ask for directions in English. That would seem easier. But personally, it really bothers me that Americans expect everyone to know and speak English. I am in a foreign country and I think it is respectful to at least attempt to learn the host language and use it when possible. Plus, if you at least try to speak Greek, the people seem much more willing and happy to help you.

This time we had much more success because it took a team of 3 or 4 Greek men to figure out where we were on the map and then converse in Greek to figure out how to give us directions in English. After we were straightened out and began heading the right way (finally) we were approached by a small Russian family for help with directions because they were trying to find the metro. Since we had just gotten directions, I pointed out where we were on a map and then offered for them to follow us since we were heading that way too. To me, this was really cool because even though I was a bit frustrated, we were able to help someone else out. Who knows if they would have found someone who spoke English or if they could have asked a Greek for directions. I firmly believe that everyone is put in your path for a reason so if we had to get lost just so we could help out a fellow human being, then it was totally worth it. 

Unfortunately, that was not the end of our getting lost. To try and summarize what was a painstakingly long and unending request for directions (both in Greek and in English) Erika and I eventually decided that at this point we should just split off from Micah and Erin to save time because we were getting hungry, tired and hot.

It still took us asking for directions about 4 more times to Monastriki so we could get on the metro to Erika’s site. But first we had to figure out how to buy metro tickets (because we were out or our pre-paid for tickets) which led to a little bit more frustration.

Erika attempting to master the ticket dispenser.
Impatiently waiting on the bus...someone's ready to be home!
By the time we found Erika’s site, walked through it and got back on the metro, we were both ready for food and a well-deserved nap. This is probably the first time my frustration has surfaced. And it wasn’t even that I was frustrated with the Greeks or any of the people, it was more of the fact that we felt like we were walking in circles, it was 2:00 p.m. and we hadn’t eaten since 7 a.m. and I just wanted to be in bed. I couldn't even decided whether I wanted to sleep or eat first, or both at the same time. I was just glad to finally make it back to Deree!

No comments:

Post a Comment