Monday, July 14, 2014

We are Family


Things I miss about home:
1.    SWEET TEA. My craving was okay for the first two weeks because I was experiencing so many new tastes that I didn’t think about what I miss. But now, the craving has kicked in full gear and nowhere has sweet tea, nor do the grocery stores sell the right tea bags. So I’m settling for hot green tea, which does not even count as a substitute for sweet tea. If anyone would like to send me a gallon of sweet tea from the States, you will be my favorite person ever.
2.    Nana’s cooking
3.    The rain: it never rains here. Ever. Everyone back home is complaining about all the thunderstorms and we’re all over here missing even a light rain. Apparently it never rains during the summer here.
4.    PEANUT BUTTER. Oh my gosh I never knew how much I would miss this. I wish someone would have warned me that peanut butter is not a European thing. Nowhere sells it and I’m craving it like nothing else. I will probably eat a whole jar of it when I get home.
5.    My bed.

Things I don’t miss:
1.    Fast food. There are next to zero fast food chains here, which I think is great.
2.    The stress and constant busyness of life in the States.
3.    Driving. It’s weird to think that I haven’t driven a car in about a month. But I’m completely okay with that. 
4. The humidity of Florida. It may be hot here, but it's a dry hot and not near as bad as Florida weather! 
 
 As you can see, I’m not exactly homesick. Don’t get me wrong, I love and adore my family and friends to death, but I’m 100% happy over here. Our small group of 16 UNF students who originally didn’t know each other, quickly grew into our own family (literally). After our pre-vacation in Santorini, it was like we had known each other for months. When we came back to Deree for our first day of orientation with the rest of the American students, they were all shocked to learn that we had only just met. Our bond formed so quickly that it still surprises me today how much I already care about each one of the people on this trip. I know trips like this basically force people into fast friendships, but over the course of our time here I have learned a lot about each of my classmates. I genuinely value each one of them and our inside jokes, experiences and adventures together. 

With the exception of two of the girls (Erika and Lily, who are usually in our room anyway), we all live on the same floor and pretty much have an open-door policy. Literally, we just leave our dorm room doors open. I’m already sad thinking about going back home and not being able to walk next door to the boys room to hear Mark play guitar, or borrow each other’s pots and pans and cooking supplies or help each other cook or just hang out. I feel blessed to be with such an amazing and diverse group of people, and I don't even want to think about when the time comes for us to move out of what has become our home here. Through this trip we have become one big, slightly dysfunctional family. We've formed our own "in-group" which is the Greek version of close family and friends. We will always be bound together by this incredible trip and the things we've experienced together.

Swooping on the top of Mt. Hymettus

Outside the Lion Gates at Corinth
Being Spartans for the day
My favorite group of girls at Delphi.
Enjoying the view from Nafplion.


Even though we only have a short amount of time left in this wonderful country, I can't wait for reunion pot lucks and seeing each other on campus when we get back to the States!

No comments:

Post a Comment