Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Greek Secret

The Greeks know a thing or two about hardship, from hundreds of years under Ottoman rule to civil wars and now a staggering unemployment rate of 51.4% for young adults my age (16-25). Yet the Greeks hold a secret. A secret to surviving and even enjoying the tough times: kefi.
According to the Greek online dictionary, kefi is defined as jolliness, joyfulness, liveliness and vivaciousness. It's more than that though, it's also spirit, adrenaline, passion, happiness and so much more. Kefi is a Greek word and most people haven't heard of it, unless maybe you've seen the movie My Life in Ruins.

""People reconnect with their souls, they find their mojo.  In Greece, it's called kefi, which means passion, joy, spirit."- My Life in Ruins


Once you know what kefi is and once you see people who possess kefi, you find yourself wanting to find your own kefi. At least that's where I'm finding myself right now. I generally consider myself a positive person, but kefi is so much more than that. It's living large and full of emotion in every moment. It's not worrying about the future that we can't control, it's about absorbing the very moment you are in and enjoying the people you are surrounded by. Back home, I am constantly stressed out between my balance of school, sorority, work, family life and a social life. Why do I over commit myself all the time? During the semester I am constantly stressing out about something or freaking out about a huge test (just ask my parents). But this is such a waste of energy. Here in Greece, the vibe is so much more laid back. That is the culture, laid-back. I don't see people in a huge rush to get somewhere. Drivers aren't yelling at each other to go faster, people are casually walking down the sidewalks and around town. There is no sense of stress that I have found. Even at restaurants. I work at a restaurant back home and I wish it was as chill as it is here. The waiters are never in a rush to get food out as soon as possible and the customers don't complain about how long their food is taking. Imagine if we could adopt this mentality in the States.

There are certain people I have met here in Greece that seem to ooze kefi from their veins. Demetria is the shopkeeper we met in Santorini and she was so full of life from the moment we met her. Walking down the streets, she lured us into her shop with samples of free wine which led to a full tasting of olive oils and olives as well. She also told us about her family's restaurant and we ended up spending our last night in Santorini with her at the restaurant just enjoying each others company and good food. It amazed me how outgoing, vivacious, joyous and animated she was in conversation. I think it's safe to say she held all of our attention and we were all content just listening to her talk. 
Sarah Kim and I hanging out with Demetria.
 The Greeks know the secret to surviving even in the harder or stressful times of life. Possessing kefi added with a midday siesta (naptime) into the daily is the key to living large and living happy in Greece. I'm on my own mission to find my own kefi and bring it back to the States with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment