Friday, July 25, 2014

Service Project 101

Today we woke up bright and early, ready to be the first UNF group to participate in a Greek service project. We walked to the food bank, where a local group of volunteers collects all types of food and toiletries for over 3,000 families that can't afford to provide for themselves. This large number of people that need help only accounts for those around Aghia Paraskevi (the neighborhood we live in), not all of Athens. That number would be much, much higher.
Ready to serve!
We split up into groups of 4, along with a volunteer and a Greek student. Sarah K., Eric, Micah and I headed to the Bazar close to our dorms, loaded with tons of fliers to pass out to the early morning shoppers. The Greek student in our group Kiara taught me how to say "Helping is important" in Greek so I had something to say as I was passing out flyers. The reactions of the shoppers was similar to what would happen in the States. Some people accepted the fliers and looked at it or asked us a few questions, others just took the flier (and probably didn't even read it), and of course there were those who just walked straight by us, ignoring the fact that we existed.

Although I have done a variety of service back in the States, for some reason this experience changed how I view things. I will always take someone's flier because I know how it feels to have people walk right by you and ignore you. I will at least read it, or look over it to see what it is that is being promoted or advertised. Also, after talking with Kiara I am motivated to at least donate one or two things when I see a food drive. One Greek woman stopped and conversed with us about how we shouldn't be doing this at this point in the month. According to her we should wait until the end of the month when everyone receives their pension and paychecks. That way people are more willing and able to donate if they have any money left over. She told us that she barely even had enough money to provide for herself, so while she appreciates what we're doing, she said she wouldn't be able to donate. After she walked into the store, Kiara mentioned that this is a common excuse used. Yes, it may be true that some people truly do not have the means to donate because they are barely scraping by. However, is it really impossible to donate even a bag of flour or a box of pasta? Both of which are extremely cheap to purchase. I think a lot of times we feel that in order to make a difference we have to give a large amount of money or assistance when in reality every little bit helps. When Kiara made this point of how cheap just a few items are, it really inspired me to make a conscious effort of trying to donate more whenever I see a need. Even if it's just a little bit, I can give up a coffee or a meal out in order to help someone else. This is something I really want to hold myself accountable too, so friends and family feel free to remind me of this!
Kiara, me and Sarah with some of the donated items!
During our time passing out fliers, we also got to talk a lot with Kiara about Greek ways of life. Anytime I am spending time with a Greek student I take full advantage of this time to ask all of the questions that I have about life in Greece.

I don't know if I've mentioned this or not, but Greeks smoke cigarettes. A LOT. All the time, everywhere. I'm beginning to think I might become a victim of second-hand smoke! (kidding). Why is the attitude toward smoking so different here? In the States there are numerous anti-smoking ads and commercials, but Greeks don't really seem to care that smoking is ruining their health. Are the people just not aware of the effects smoking can have on your body? Kiara told me that cigarette companies do have to put warnings on the packages, saying that this product can possibly kill you...but the main difference comes in the visual idea of smoking. In the States we see tons of commercials that show the effects smoking can have on your body (i.e. CDC commercials, pictures of what a smoker's lungs look like) but here there are no visuals so the effects aren't as easy to visualize. Age doesn't seem to be a factor, I've seen kids who look maybe 14 smoking on the sidewalk, up to the old men who sit around in cafes smoking with each other. Women smoke, students smoke, waiters smoke (while they are working), store owners smoke...the list goes on but you get the point. Also, there are no "smoking-free" zones. I mean there are, but it's more of a suggestion to not smoke inside closed public areas like restaurants. Kiara mentioned that no one really enforces the "no-smoking" rule so if you ever wanted to quit smoking it would be extremely hard to get away from it.

The smoking habits in Greece reflect the attitude here, much like other things I've mentioned. It seems that a lot of what we witness from an outsider's viewpoint all connects together to form the country that is Greece. Greeks live for the moment, live in the moment. The future is not of concern because if you think about the future you are wasting the moment you should be enjoying right now. So if you want to smoke, then smoke. It doesn't matter what might happen to your body later. If you enjoy smoking a cigarette, then do so.The carefree attitude is contagious (don't worry mom, I'm not picking up a smoking habit!) and makes me wish I could adopt this spirit of the Greek life.


No comments:

Post a Comment